Georgia 5-year-old helps 2-year-old sister escape through window before rescuing family, dog from burning home
Noah Woods, 5, is being named an honorary firefighter by Bartow County Fire Department and will also be bestowed a rare Lifesaving award, typically reserved for professional rescuers, for his heroic act
BARTOW COUNTY, GEORGIA: A young Georgia boy is being hailed a hero after his timely actions ensured his entire family-of-eight, including his two-year-old sister, safely escaped a fire that engulfed their home.
Noah Woods, 5, was asleep at his home in Bartow County, Georgia, on Sunday, February 9, when he suddenly woke up to smoke and fire in the bedroom he shared with his two-year-old sister, according to the Bartow County Fire Department.
Realizing time was of the essence, he jumped out of bed, grabbed his sister, and got out of the house the only available exit: an open window. Once he was outside, despite being safe, he went inside to rescue the family dog as well.
But he still wasn't done. Wanting to save the rest of his family, he made his way next door to his uncle's house for help. Together, they managed to alert everyone else in the home and get them to safety. When firefighters arrived, they had to treat Noah and four others for only minor burns and smoke inhalation.
"We've seen children alert their families before but for a 5-year-old to be alert enough to do this ... that's pretty extraordinary," said Bartow County Fire Department Chief Dwayne Jamison.
Jamison revealed the fire was caused by an overloaded electrical outlet in Noah's bedroom.
Noah is being named an honorary firefighter by the Bartow County Fire Department and will also be bestowed a rare Lifesaving award, which is typically reserved for professional rescuers, for his heroics on Friday, February 14.
The news of his incredible bravery reached the ears of Georgia governor Brian Kemp, whose letter to the five-year-old boy will be read by Jamison at Friday's ceremony.
A GoFundMe page set up by the family is asking help from the community to get back to their feet after their home was irreversibly destroyed in the fire.
"We praise God that we all are safe," a description read. "Unfortunately, our home was a total loss. Due to a recent lapse in our home insurance, this has made a difficult situation a little worse. We are planning to rebuild and will likely need to stay in a motel for some time and likely rent a small house while we work to earn funding and build."
"It's difficult for us to ask for help from our community however, we know this feat is too great for us to achieve alone."
The page has raised $13,200 of a $75,000 goal at the time of writing.