21-year-old dies of caffeine overdose after drinking 'anti-hangover' protein shake, devastated father issues warning on social media

Nigel Foote opened up about his son's untimely demise hoping it might possibly 'save some else's life' and said that it is 'scandalous' the product has not been banned


                            21-year-old dies of caffeine overdose after drinking 'anti-hangover' protein shake, devastated father issues warning on social media

A young musician, who otherwise led a healthy lifestyle, suddenly died from a caffeine overdose after consuming a protein shake.

On New Year's Day in 2018, Lachlan Foote was just one day shy of turning 22 when his parents found him dead on the bathroom floor of their residence in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, Daily Mail reports.  

Lachlan's father, Nigel Foote, took to Facebook on Sunday to speak openly about his son's untimely demise hoping it might possibly 'save some else's life.'

Lachlan Foote was just one day shy of turning 22 when his parents found him dead on the bathroom floor of their residence in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. (Facebook)

Last week, a coroner's report concluded the 21-year-old had died of drinking a lethal amount of caffeine, Nigel Foote wrote.

The report stated that Lachlan reportedly overloaded his protein shake with too much pure caffeine. According to experts, a teaspoon of the same is equivalent to consuming 50 cups of coffee at one go.

Lachlan, who was otherwise healthy, wrote a chilling final message to his friends the night he died saying his bedtime protein had tasted bitter after adding caffeine.

"I think my protein powder has gone off. Just made an anti-hangover/workout shake and it tasted awful," Lachlan wrote at 2.07 am the fateful night. "Anyway… night lads. Cya in the morning."

He was found dead just a couple of hours later. Now, his family wants to warn others that it only takes a teaspoon of the powder to result in life-threatening consequences. While caffeine powder is commonly mixed with energy drinks and protein shakes, combining it with other legal drugs can be dangerous.

Consuming caffeine with alcohol puts 'enormous strain on the body' and may mask some effects of alcohol, according to the Alcohol and Drug Foundation.

Lachlan, who was usually healthy, wrote a chilling final message to his friends the night he died saying his bedtime protein had tasted bitter after adding caffeine. (Facebook)

The young musician had just returned home from a rather tame night out with some friends when he consumed his caffeine-laden shake.

According to his father, Lachlan may have obtained the caffeine powder from a friend or colleague.

"It's very likely that Lachlan never got to read the warning label on the packet and was unaware of its potency," the parent wrote on Facebook. 

Foote recalled how painful it was to wait for the coroner's report. He said the blood results showed his son had no illicit substances in his system and that he had only a few drinks as his alcohol level was well below 0.05.

The grieving father made it clear on Facebook he doesn't blame whoever provided his son with the caffeine powder, as they probably didn't know how lethal it could be.

"It's scandalous that this product has not been banned in Australia," he wrote. 

Just one teaspoon of pure caffeine contains 5 grams of caffeine, which is a lethal amount in itself, according to a Cornell University face sheet.

"Mixing two spoonfuls of the powder into a drink is the same as drinking 70 Red Bulls at once, which could kill you," the document stated.  

If you have a news scoop or an interesting story for us, please reach out at (323) 421-7514