False alarm! Royal family tweet gets fans abuzz that Meghan Markle had given birth to the Sussex baby
The images were of the Countess of Wessex, Sophie, visiting newborns in programs supported by the Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust which assists in avoiding blindness in premature babies in India
Multiple fans of the royal family were shocked after the Buckingham Palace’s official social media account posted pictures of a baby on Monday. They all thought that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry‘s first child had finally arrived, however, it turned out to be a false alarm.
The images were of the Countess of Wessex, Sophie, visiting newborns in programs supported by the Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust which assists in avoiding blindness in premature babies in India. Sophie, Prince Edwards' wife, in the picture was seen dressed in protective clothing and a hairnet as she lovingly smiled at the infants.
"Woke up to a picture of a baby on the #royalfamily Instagram page and my [heart] stopped," PEOPLE Now’s Royal Correspondent Imogen Lloyd Webber tweeted on Monday.
There were others who were momentarily tricked by the pictures too as they anxiously wait to get a glimpse of the royal baby — due any day! One fan on the Royal Family's Instagram account commented: "Who else first thought that was Meghan’s baby?" Hundreds of fans replied on the picture saying they also thought the royal baby had arrived.
Some fans of the couple had already speculated that the Duchess of Sussex was in labor judging by the sighting of an ambulance near Meghan and Harry‘s new home of Frogmore Cottage in Windsor Castle on Friday. However, the South Central Ambulance Service, the local ambulance service serving Windsor, told PEOPLE that the vehicle was one of their driver training ambulances.
The organization, in a statement, said: "South Central Ambulance Service will continue to care for all patients in Windsor in the usual way. It is not possible to comment on the general movement of ambulances around the Windsor area and patient confidentiality must be respected at all times. Furthermore, we do not comment on operational matters relating to members of the Royal Household.”
The royal couple recently announced the details surrounding the birth of their first child, stating that they wanted to keep "the plans around the arrival of their baby private."
Buckingham Palace, announcing the couple's decision, released a statement, saying: "The Duke and Duchess look forward to sharing the exciting news with everyone once they have had an opportunity to celebrate privately as a new family."