Ex-Congressman Anthony Weiner out of prison after sexting 15-year-old girl, starts pre-release program in half-way house
Weiner will be free from custody three months earlier than his intended sentence on account of good behavior and he has been now transferred to a halfway house in New York.
Disgraced former congressman Anthony Weiner, who was sentenced to 21 months of prison in November 2017 for sexting a 15-year-old girl, has reportedly been released from jail. Weiner will be free from custody three months earlier than his intended sentence on account of good behavior and he has been now transferred to a halfway house in New York. He had been scheduled for release in August 2019 and now he is expected to be freed on May 14.
The 54-year-old began texting the teenager girl from North Carolina in 2016 and it led to a months-long exchange of lewd messages. According to law enforcement sources, Weiner will possibly remain in home confinement at the halfway house until his release date, TMZ reported.
The former Democratic congressman was forced to resign from Congress as his political career took a hit after he was embroiled in a sexting scandal with a woman in 2011. Weiner reportedly used his public Twitter account to send a link to a woman who was following him on social media. The link sent by the congressman contained a sexually explicit photograph of himself.
He attempted to run for New York mayor in 2013, however, he was again outed for sexting 22-year-old Sydney Leathersunder under the name "Carlos Danger." Wiener reportedly also sent her a sexually explicit photo of himself. The incident occurred nearly a year after he resigned from Congress for the same reason.
In 2016, Daily Mail wrote an article revealing that Weiner had also engaged in sexually-charged texting conversation with a minor, a 15-year-old girl. An investigation was promptly launched and all his devices were seized by authorities as part of the probe. The former congressman, in 2017 was sentenced to up to 27 months in prison after his guilty plea to one charge of transferring obscene material to a minor. Prosecutors, at the time, said that Weiner broke the law by having an illicit conversation with 15-year-old girl suing Snapchat and Skype.
The laptop seized from Weiner also resulted in reopening of the Hillary Clinton email case, where some of the emails on the former congressman's device were deemed pertinent to the case. Shortly before the 2016 presidential elections, then-FBI director James Comey announced that he was opening the probe into Clinton's private computer server. Clinton later said that the re-opening of the case was one of the primary reasons for her losing the 2016 polls.
Weiner, while pleading guilty in May, admitted: "I have a sickness, but I do not have an excuse." He reportedly sought to be spared from prison, telling Judge Denise Cote in a New York federal courtroom tearfully that he had been a "very sick man for a very long time," adding that he had reached "rock bottom" with his crime.
Weiner was also fined $10,000 dollars and was asked to undergo internet monitoring with no possible contact with his victim. He was also ordered to enroll in a sex offender treatment program.