Denver woman cited for heating up urine in a 7-Eleven microwave until it exploded
The 26-year-old woman, Angelique Sanchez, was reportedly found at the Concentra Health Clinic, nearly a half-mile north of the 7-Eleven store she had visited in Aurora
A woman from Denver was cited by authorities for allegedly heating up urine in the microwave of a 7-Eleven to the point that the device exploded, resulting in damage of property, according to reports.
The 26-year-old woman, Angelique Sanchez, was reportedly found at the Concentra Health Clinic, nearly a half-mile north of the 7-Eleven store she had visited in Aurora, Colorado, Daily Mail reported.
An Aurora Police Department's report, dated May 3, said that the woman needed to take a physical and had to do a urinalysis for a job prospect. A quality check measure for urine drug screening is to ensure that its temperature is around 98.6 degrees, according to 9News Medical Expert Comilla Sasson.
Sasson said: "The only kind of rationale would be that... after you'd say given a urine sample and it gets to room temperature... which we know whatever the ambient temperature is, maybe that's 70 degrees, whatever the day is... now you feel the need to warm it up to body temperature, maybe that would be a reason to put it into a microwave."
However, the expert said that placing the urine sample in a microwave would cause it to overheat and it would be ruined in the process.
"There's all these different ways that laboratory test[s] can be done to basically look for samples that are not fresh, that are not clean, that are not given at that moment," she added.
Reports state that a clerk at the 7-Eleven store called police after he saw the woman placing something in the microwave.
The police report stated that although she heard a loud bang, Sanchez "looked at the microwave and walked out the door." The clerk alerted the authorities after Sanchez left the store.
The woman reportedly told the officers who questioned her that she cleaned up the mess and did not understand what the problem was.
"When I reminded her that urine blew up where people prepare their food, she told me it was not real urine," the police officer wrote in his report.
The officer issued a summon worth $500 to Sanchez and alerted an employee at Concentra about the incident, saying that she should not be allowed to take the urine test that day.
The company released a statement, saying: "Concentra complies with federal and state laws as well as companies’ guidelines regarding drug testing."