Delaware woman recounts 8-hour attack that almost left her dead while holidaying at a Dominican Republic resort

Delaware woman recounts 8-hour attack that almost left her dead while holidaying at a Dominican Republic resort

A Delaware woman has recounted how she was beaten up and left for dead while holidaying in the Dominican Republic, and cautioned others to be smart while vacationing in unfamiliar locations. In a Facebook post, Tammy Lawrence laid out her ordeal while staying at the Majestic Elegance resort in the Dominican Republic in January with her husband and another couple who were their friends.

Lawrence said that she was subjected to an eight-hour-long attack by a man, who she said was an employee of the resort.

She said that around 11 pm she went down from her room to grab some snacks. The attack happened in the hallway which connected the lounge of her building with the one in the next building.

Lawrence said the attacker grabbed her from behind in the hallway and then pulled her into a maintainance room where the attacks continued.

She wrote "That's when I heard it. Heavy footsteps... one, two, three, four, then they sped up, and then before I could react I was plowed into from behind and immediately immobilized. His arms wrapped around me and he started pulling me immediately into an unlocked maintenance room..."

She revealed some details which were harrowing, to say the least.

"He was too strong. The next 8 hours brought me pain and fear. I was strangled multiple times to unconsciousness. My lifeless body was drug down concrete stairs to an underground waste water area. I was kicked in the head, I was beaten with a club. And then strangled again for the kill; at which time he disposed of my body into an area I refer to as the ‘hole’. I was unconscious multiple times during this savage attack, so I have no idea what else was done to me during that time. Somehow I survived. Again, I won't go into all of the hell that I went through being basically 'buried' in that hell hole for so many hours," Lawrence wrote in her post.

Lawrence said she spent five days in a medical clinic and had surgery to repair my injuries.

"I am still dealing with several issues, including nerve damage, as well as, all of the medical expenses since being home," she wrote.

She said the attacker was still at large as the resort didn't do enough to find the perpetrator. The police, she wrote, were no help either.


Lawrence said she is still trying to get over the randomness of the attack and the effect it had on her.

"How do you explain to your kids you were almost killed by some random stranger and that ‘Mommy is coming home, but I don’t look like myself’? How do you look into your parents eyes as they gaze upon your battered face telling them, ‘I’m okay, I’ll be okay’. Seeing friends break down in tears as they look at you. Everyone asking, ‘why?’, ‘how?’ You tell them a story. You recount every detail very matter of fact so that you don’t break down, that you stay strong… so they don’t see how you are crumbling inside with fear, disappointment, and weakness."

She concluded her post by warning others of avoiding her fate by being careful. She wrote, "When you are in unfamiliar places, or even in familiar places, please remember…be smart, be safe."


Share this article:

 Delaware mom attacked and left for dead while on vacation