Four-year-old girl contracts life-threatening infection after trying on new shoes without socks

Doctors believe that the child contracted the infection from the bacteria in the shoes which entered her body via an open wound like a cut or a bite


                            Four-year-old girl contracts life-threatening infection after trying on new shoes without socks

A four-year-old child in the UK contracted a deadly infection and developed sepsis just a day after she tried on shoes while not wearing any socks. Sienna Rasul got very ill after she tried on different sized shoes on her bare feet. 

According to the Sun, doctors believe that the child contracted the infection from the bacteria in the shoes which entered her body via an open wound like a cut or a bite. Sienna reportedly spent around five days in the hospital and was on a drip. Her mother Jodie Thomas was by her side the entire time and shared, "I was really shocked when the doctors said it was from trying on new shoes. I’ve been worried sick, they’ve had to drain all the poison from her leg."



 

"Normally she would have socks on but it’s summertime so she was wearing sandals. The shoes she liked had been tried on by other little girls and that’s how Sienna picked up the infection," she continued. After their shopping trip, Sienna started crying in pain when her mother took her to the doctors. The doctors immediately spotted the infection and used a pen to mark the areas where the infection had spread. 

Jodie added, "By the next day, it had spread up her leg and her temperature was raging. I drove her straight into hospital, she was shaking and twitching — it was horrible to see my little girl like that. They said it was sepsis and thought they would have to operate. But the doctors have managed to drain all the pus from her leg and say the antibiotic drip will do the job," Jodie shared. 



 

Sienna has finally been released from the children's ward at Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil but she will continue to be monitored and observed. Jodie is now urging all parents to never make such a mistake and insist that their child wear socks while trying out shoes. "Please put socks on your children while trying new shoes on. I'm guilty of not doing it for mine, but this can be the outcome infection spreading throughout the body," Jodie said. 

"You don't know whose feet has been in them beforehand! Who would've thought trying new shoes on could make someone so ill? So, with back to school shopping underway, carry a pair of spare socks!" she continued. 

The chief executive of the UK Sepsis Trust Dr. Ron Daniels shared, "This frightening case shows us that sepsis strikes indiscriminately and can affect anyone at any time." He added that it was highly likely that Sienna already had a "breach" in her skin which was probably a graze or a small bite. "Whenever there are signs of infection, it’s crucial that members of the public seek medical attention urgently and just ask: 'Could it be sepsis?' Better awareness could save thousands of lives every year," he continued.