DC teens who murdered Uber Eats driver Mohammad Anwar get plea deal, Internet wants them 'charged as adults'
Since the teenagers are being charged as juveniles, many have expressed their disapproval with this course of action
Warning: Graphic content
The shocking and bizarre nature of the death of Pakistani immigrant Mohammad Anwar shook the nation. The latest news in the case is even more concerning as the two teenagers aged 13-year-old and 15-year-old charged in the armed fatal carjacking last week in Washington DC are reportedly getting a plea deal.
According to the latest reports, the prosecutor had told the judge they were expecting to give attorneys plea bargain offers in the "next day or two."
Anwar's death caused a great deal of outrage on social media. Since the teenagers are being charged as juveniles, many have expressed their disapproval with this course of action and are calling for the teenagers to be charged as adults. Their victim, 66-year-old Mohammad Anwar of Springfield, Virginia, was driving for Uber Eats when the girls attempted to steal his car and tased him.
The horrific scene was caught on camera by a witness. The video is very graphic and disturbing along with chilling audio.
⚠️Uber Eats driver killed during armed carjacking in D.C. pic.twitter.com/kFGuhz0xnz— Tony (@Mrtdogg) March 27, 2021
The video that has been circulating online with comments and retweets in the thousands has sparked a major debate online. Social media users criticized the teenagers and called for a stricter approach. "My phone is still in there”. Right after they just murdered someone. We have a cultural problem," a user tweeted criticizing the girls. Another user added, "There is a man crumpled up DEAD and you worried about your phone. what the fuck is wrong with these new kids?!"
There is a man crumpled up DEAD and you worried about your phone. what the fuck is wrong with these new kids?!— The Nail Shrink 💅🏾 (@BoquiSucia) March 27, 2021
'They murdered someone'
What adds fire to the flame is that DC Police Commander Ramey Kyle has reportedly said that authorities were investigating one of the suspect’s involvements in another carjacking in January. With Anwar's killing being their repeated offense, many on social media ask if it is right for them to be tried as juveniles. According to the latest reports that confirm the news through sources, the younger suspect may have been involved in more than one previous crime.
"I do not care about the girls age,color or religion. They murdered someone, for a car. Mr.Anwar was trying to earn a living. Their blatant disregard for life has caused a murder, carjacking, destroyed their lives, destroyed MrAnwar’s family. R.I.P. SIR," a user tweeted. "Juveniles should be charged as an adult based on the severity of the crime. They are not going to become a saint after serving a 5 year sentence for a crime that usually gives an adult life or death sentence. #MohammadAnwar #ubereatsdriver," another said. "What kind of nonsense is this. #MohammadAnwar was murdered. His life mattered. These two juveniles should be tried as an adults and spend a long time in prison," a user commented along similar lines.
I do not care about the girls age,color or religion. They murdered someone, for a car. Mr.Anwar was trying to earn a living. Their blatant disregard for life has caused a murder, carjacking, destroyed their lives, destroyed MrAnwar’s family.— martha mineo (@gmamineo) March 28, 2021
Juveniles should be charged as an adult based on the severity of the crime. They are not going to become a saint after serving a 5 year sentence for a crime that usually gives an adult life or death sentence.#MohammadAnwar #ubereatsdriver— Logic and Rationality (@LRationality) March 29, 2021
However, reporters, who sat in on the hearing, have not indicated that any attempt was made to transfer the case into the adult system. In fact, the Washington DC acting police chief says charging teenagers as adults won't "bring back the lost loved one". "The 15-year-old would not be charged as an adult. You know, obviously, this is a tragic case, and you know, charging this person as an adult [who’s] a juvenile … does not bring back the lost loved one in this case," acting Chief Robert Contee III reportedly said. "And certainly, again, the 15-year-old would not be eligible as a Title 16 case, you know, and it’s not really pointing fingers at anyone - the courts or anyone."
"We will carry him with us always, but it doesn’t take the pain away of losing him so tragically and so unexpectedly soon," read part of a statement on the family’s GoFundMe page. The outpouring of support for the Anwar family continues. The GoFundMe Account for 66-year-old Mohammad Anwar has now surpassed $1,000,000.