Convicted torturer got within feet of Prince George in latest palace security breach, investigation launched
The convicted torturer, Darren Benjamin, 40, delivered furniture to Kensington Palace on July 14 in his role as a driver for an independent company.
The British royal family has launched an investigation after a convicted torturer was allowed to enter the palace and come within feet from Prince George. The investigation was launched after Prince William grew concerned about the security breach.
The convicted torturer, Darren Benjamin, 40, delivered furniture to Kensington Palace on July 14 in his role as a driver for an independent company. He spoke about seeing Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis on his visit to the palace, as reported by The Sun.
Benjamin was arrested in 2008 and was given seven years in prison after he was found guilty of being involved in a torture plot where a man had boiling water poured on his back.
Acccording to The Sun, Benjamin told his friends that the three royal kids were in the courtyard with their nanny Maria Teresa Borrallo when he arrived. He even recalled being greeted by the three of them.
“This is the type of potentially deadly security oversight that simply cannot be allowed to happen. Darren is a violent criminal who was jailed for the most brutal type of torture," a source told the outlet. "It’s chilling as he has been boasting to friends about just how close he came to our future king and the other Cambridge children."
The source further added, "His friends were shocked that he was able to get into the Palace and within touching distance of royalty given his past." Meanwhile, a royal insider told the news outlet that William and Kate were worried about how Benjamin got near their children.
"The Duke has been informed and is obviously taking a close interest into what happened," the insider said.
“He strongly believes criminals deserve a second chance once they have served their time, but is concerned current security policies might not be strong enough," the insider added. “It’s very important we know who is coming into the Palace.”
Meanwhile, other staff members were reportedly shocked to see the lack of background check by the palace security department. Soon after the incident took place the palace launched an investigation.
“As soon as it was brought to our attention an urgent security review was launched to check the current systems and procedures are appropriate," a palace aide told the outlet. “Pending the outcome, there will be a refined level of risk assessment for those entering.”
A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said, “All deliveries to the royal estates operate under strict guidelines."
She continued, "This involves admittance of known consignments only, ID check on entry and escorting, at all times, of the driver and vehicle. All deliveries are completed with oversight from police officers and security staff."
This is the second security breach that the palace has witnessed in a month. Earlier this month, another security breach was reported after a man scaled the fence of Buckingham Palace at 2 am while the Queen slept not very far away.