CNN's Don Lemon changes 'Defund the Police' stance as Kenosha violence hurts Democrats: 'Rioting has to stop'

A national survey found that 53% Americans still perceive 'demonstrations against racial injustice' to be 'legitimate protests' – a lot lesser as compared to June's 62%


                            CNN's Don Lemon changes 'Defund the Police' stance as Kenosha violence hurts Democrats: 'Rioting has to stop'
(Getty Images)
ADVERTISEMENT

Social media erupted after CNN anchor Don Lemon appeared to change his tune on Tuesday night on the anti-cop riots that have ravaged the nation for months. He even went on to warn Democrats that protests and riots could cost them the presidential election this November. In a stunning display of logic and reasoning, the left-wing commentator argued that Black communities actually needed more police presence. “The rioting has to stop,” Lemon said. “It’s showing up in the polling. It’s showing up in focus groups. It is the only thing right now that is sticking.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking to fellow CNN host Chris Cuomo, Lemon described the chaos in Kenosha as a "Rorschach Test for the entire country." "I think this is a blind spot for Democrats. I think Democrats are ignoring this problem or hoping that it will go away," he said, before admitting that the riots weren't going to stop if left unchecked. "Unless someone comes up with a solution in the next 73 days," he continued before Cuomo interjected and noted there were only 68 days until the November election.

ADVERTISEMENT

"The problem is not going to be fixed by then," Lemon said. He then urged Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden to address the rising number of riots in major cities across the country.

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee former Vice President Joe Biden delivers a speech at the William Hicks Anderson Community Center, on July 28, 2020, in Wilmington, Delaware. (Getty Images)

ADVERTISEMENT

A national survey by NPR, PBS News Hour, and Marist national published on August 15 found that 53% of Americans still perceive the "demonstrations against racial injustice" to be "legitimate protests" -- a lot lesser as compared to June's 62%. On the other hand, the survey found that 38% of Americans now believed these gatherings were "mostly people acting unlawfully," up from 28% previously.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lemon, on Tuesday, attributed the shift in polling to "the riots and the protests" that "have become indistinguishable" to the public. "Most Black people don't want police defunded. They don't want fewer police there," he continued. "What they want: they want more. And most communities of color in this country need police. They may need police more than White communities."

ADVERTISEMENT

Graffiti is painted across a wall during the second night of rioting on August 24, 2020, in Kenosha, Wisconsin. (Getty Images)

Lemon also acknowledged that more crime existed in economically poor communities regardless of ethnicity. "I think you can talk about the two, you can fix the two," he concluded, standing in direct opposition to law enforcement abolitionists.

ADVERTISEMENT

While the CNN star may have reached a conclusion on the matter, many of his supporters on social media did not agree with him. Meanwhile, Lemon's critics mocked his apparent hypocrisy. "This is some absolute bulls***, Don Lemon. Joe Biden is NOT AFRAID to discuss the riots. Biden HAS addressed the riots multiple times. Why is it that Don Lemon is holding Biden's feet to the fire when Trump is the man in charge?" one tweet read.

ADVERTISEMENT



 

"Don Lemon wants you to know that the rioting and violence have to stop because it's helping Trump's poll numbers and man that's not good," content creator Jason Howerton added.

ADVERTISEMENT



 

"Don Lemon says riots have to stop explicitly bc of their political impact--not bc of what they mean for having a functioning society, the criticality of the rule of law, and the impact on the lives of Americans. That is, he cares about it costing Dems the election, nothing more," author Benjamin Weinggarten chimed in.

ADVERTISEMENT



 

"Everything @donlemon said here is accurate. This is the one issue that could really turn the election against Biden and is showing up in the polling - all leaders have to come out forcefully and unequivocally against violence and looting," wrote Meghan McCain, daughter of late Sen. John McCain.

ADVERTISEMENT



 

ADVERTISEMENT