New Zealand mosque shooting: Gunman had strapped a GoPro camera to his head to livestream shooting on Facebook

The shooter identified himself as Brenton Tarrant and expressed regret that he was not able to burn the mosque to the ground

                            New Zealand mosque shooting: Gunman had strapped a GoPro camera to his head to livestream shooting on Facebook

Chilling footage of the shooting at one of the two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand was livestreamed on Facebook for 17 minutes by the gunman, believed to be 28-year-old Brenton Tarrant, who had reportedly strapped a GoPro to his head.

The footage shows the gunman opening fire with a semiautomatic rifle, shooting dozens of people inside at point blank range at Al Noor Mosque on Deans Avenue on Friday. 

In the distressing 17-minute footage the man says: "Let's get this party started," as he starts his car and begins driving to the Al Noor Mosque in central Christchurch.

Tarrant, dressed in military-style body armor and a helmet, entered Al Noor Mosque around 1.30 pm when the afternoon prayers were going on and opened fire on the innocent worshippers.

The shooter used a semi-automatic shotgun amongst other guns, all of which were scrawled with the names of earlier mass killers and also cities where the shooting had occurred. He proceeded to drive his truck while listening to folk music and military tunes before parking in an alley around the corner from the mosque.


He then walked to the front of the mosque and started to fire at random at people inside. A wounded man even attempted to crawl away but the gunman shot him after calmly re-loading his gun. He reloaded his gun a number of times and shot into crowds of huddled worshippers. There were many times that he stood over wounded or injured men and shot them multiple times to make sure that they were dead.


He then walked outside and appeared to fire at least two more targets and swapped his shotgun for a rifle. He then returned to the mosque and walked to a pile of dead and injured men and started to shoot them in the head to ensure that they were dead.

When he was sure that everyone was dead, he went outside and shot another person on the mosque's front lawn. The woman fell down and was lying face down in the gutter yelling "help me, help me" when the Tarrant walked up to her and shot her twice in the head. 

Just a few seconds later, he went back to his car and drove over her body to get away. He also stopped to shoot at least one other person through the car window. He also expressed his regret over not being able to stay longer and "burning the mosque to the ground."

"But, s**t happens," he said. "I left one full magazine back there, I know for sure. I had to run along in the middle of the firefight and pick it up. There wasn't even time to aim there were so many targets. There were so many people, the car park was full, so there's no real chance of improvement."

Facebook said it removed both the shooters' accounts and a live streaming video. "Police alerted us to a video on Facebook shortly after the livestream commenced and we quickly removed both the shooter's Facebook and Instagram accounts and the video.

"We're also removing any praise or support for the crime and the shooter or shooters as soon as we're aware," said Mia Garlick from Facebook's New Zealand office in a statement.