Charlie's mum posted pics of 'sad' daughter being denied Zoom call to dad in prison just before her death
The mother of a tragic toddler who died in "poor conditions" reportedly took to Facebook just weeks before daughter's demise to post sad photos of the child and rant about her daughter being denied a zoom call with her jailed father on her birthday.
The child, identified only as six-year-old Charlie, was found unresponsive early Friday, July 15, at her Munno Para home in Adelaide's northern suburbs. Her death was initially thought to be the result of malnutrition, but it has since emerged that she suffered from coeliac disease, a severe immune disorder in which the digestive system reacts to gluten ingestion. Charlie's mum took to Facebook on June 24 to share photos of her daughter looking "sad" after being told she wouldn't be able to see her father on her birthday.
"My heart is breaking so much watching my baby girl being upset, especially on her birthday," the mum, who has not been identified, wrote at the time. "Mount Gambier Prison canceled her zoom birthday visit with her daddy. So Charlie doesn't get to show her presents or unwrap some presents with her daddy and do a birthday cake with him. F@#k you MGP," she added. It's worth noting that Charlie's father is currently serving a five-and-a-half year sentence in Mount Gambier Prison for causing harm with intent.
After Charlie's sudden demise, her five siblings were taken into the care of the state while their mother is probed for alleged criminal neglect in her daughter's death. Neighbors said the family was failed by child protection services and declared that Charlie's mother was not to blame for the tragedy. "She watched her child die … any mother who has gone through that would be traumatized and scared and confused and just heartbroken that her child, her baby that she carried for nine months, is gone," one neighbor told the Adelaide Advertiser. Some others said they had since made plans to launch a #justiceforcharlie campaign. "It's just another step in the process of getting answers for Charlie, and that's what we really want," one said. "There are no words to describe the amount of anger all of us on the street here have for the family."
Police have revealed the identity of the six-year-old girl who has died from suspected malnutrition in Adelaide's north.— 9News Adelaide (@9NewsAdel) July 19, 2022
Police say Charlie may have been the victim of death by criminal neglect and have launched a special taskforce to investigate. #9News pic.twitter.com/4yILTD97tF
Court documents revealed on Wednesday, July 20, that Charlie was allowed to stay at the home despite being exposed to drug abuse and domestic violence. She and her siblings watched as their drug addled father stabbed their mother multiple times at their home in January last year. The authorities, however, did not remove the children from the home, despite neighbors allegedly contacting them eight times in the three weeks before Charlie's death.
Susan Close, the acting Premier of South Australia, a government review will investigate interactions between the family and authorities to glean any "lessons" that could have been learned. This comes after SA Deputy Police Commissioner Linda Williams said Charlie was living in "poor" conditions but it was too early to determine if her death could have been prevented. Williams couldn't confirm the last time Charlie had attended school. Meanwhile, a special task force has been set up to probe the circumstances behind her death, the Daily Mail reported.