Bodies of mom and 3-year-old boy found in Oregon woods, weeks after father was charged with their murder

Bodies of mom and 3-year-old boy found in Oregon woods, weeks after father was charged with their murder

The bodies of Karissa Fretwell, 25, and her 3-year-old son William Fretwell, were found on Saturday in one of the remote and heavily wooded areas of Yamhill County, Oregon. As reported by Daily Mail,  the mother died due to a single gunshot to her head while the cause of the child's death has still not been confirmed as tests are underway.

This undated photo provided by the Salem, Oregon, Police Department shows Karissa Alyn Fretwell and her 3-year-old son William "Billy" Fretwell.  The boy’s biological father Michael Wolfe has been charged with kidnapping and aggravated murder. (Salem Police Department via AP, File)

The Fretwell mother and son had disappeared on May 13 and had been missing ever since. The child's biological father, Michael Wolfe, 52, was arrested and charged with kidnapping and aggravated murder. He was arrested on May 25 from a doughnut shop in Portland based on evidence from surveillance camera and cell phone data.

Last year, Fretwell had gone to court to prove that her former lover, Wolfe, was actually the biological father of her son and the court had determined the same based on DNA identification. Wolfe, who is married to another woman, was petitioned by Fretwell for $900 per month in child support.

According to The Yamhill County Sheriff's Office, the bodies were found in the wooded areas, approximately 10 miles from the city and 9 miles from a property which Wolfe owns. "Really good detective work" led authorities to find the bodies on Saturday, northwest of the state capital of Salem, Yamhill County District Attorney Brad Berry said. Searchers who were part of a crew of dozens from different agencies found the bodies after looking for about two hours Saturday. The bodies had been covered with debris, Berry said.

Based on the probable cause affidavit, a surveillance video showed Wolfe leaving his workplace on May 13 in a golf cart. It was his night shift and he was recorded walking towards the treeline. About six hours later, early the next morning, he was captured on the camera driving back to the mill carrying a white trash bag. The cell phone evidence recorded that his and Fretwell's phone were at the same location during the time.


Speaking to Katu, Fretwell's friend, Megan Harper said that "There was never a relationship there(between Karissa and Wolfe)." She added, "She never knew he was married until after a couple weeks of her being pregnant. Then he offered to pay for an abortion." She said that initially, Wolfe had wanted her to have an abortion but later wanted full custody of the child. She said, "That was her fear, him taking her child away. My first thought when she went missing was that he'd done something."

Wolfe, who was arrested in May, has another hearing in court on Thursday. The authorities, meanwhile, are trying to establish the cause for the child's death and other evidence which might prove crucial to the case.


Share this article:

 Bodies of a mom and her 3-year-old son found in Oregon woods father charged with murder