Mother issues warning to other parents after her son nearly choked himself to death with a blind cord

Hernandez posted an emotional message on her Facebook wall, explaining how she found her son nearing death when he played with the cord and used it as a necklace


                            Mother issues warning to other parents after her son nearly choked himself to death with a blind cord

Arika Hernandez, a mother of three from Utah is warning parents all over to beware of blind cords after her three-year-old son almost choked himself to death while he was playing with the string and pretending it to be a necklace.

Following the incident which involved her son, Hernandez posted an emotional message on her Facebook wall, explaining how she found her son nearing death when he played with the cord and used it as a necklace. 

"I have gone back and forth about posting this or not posting this but I believe if this post saves one child’s life it’s worth being vulnerable. Our sweet three-year-old boy is a survivor," the mother-of-three wrote in her post.



 

Adding to that she said, "On January 7th our son climbed up to the top bunk bed and wrapped the blind cords around his neck. He then began to walk down the ladder as the cords tightened he panicked and tried to yell for mom and dad but nothing came out." Hernandez revealed that her son tried to wiggle and free himself from the grip but then it only ended becoming worse. 

Panicked and worried that he couldn't yell for help, the kid jumped from his bed, which resulted in the cord snapping and freeing the three-year-old from dying.

"At the last attempt to get free he jumped to come get us and that very jump saved his life! The cord snapped and freed him! We heard a loud thud (his jump) and then his loud scream! This was not just any scream, it is one I have never heard in my life and it will forever be ringing in my ears," she wrote.

Following that Hernandez and her husband took their son to the hospital where the doctors were shocked and concerned looking at the mark on his neck. There were blood red marks all over his neck where the cord was tired. It had cut deep into his skin.



 

Hernandez asked parents to find cordless blinds if they can. "They now sell cordless blinds and they are worth every penny. Even if you cut the cords once the blinds are lifted up it creates a hazard. The cords cannot be cut short to make them safer... there are still inner cords and if the cord is pulled so the blinds go all the way up, that pull cord will then be long enough to make a loop & strangle a child." she said.

Adding to that she said, "My heart goes out to the families that have lost their loved ones this way. I am so sorry for that heartache and can’t imagine the pain you have gone through. This is something I didn’t think my kids would do because I am constantly nagging them about not putting things around their neck. Kids will be kids and they explore, my son told me he was making a necklace and that’s why it was around his neck. Please help me save the next kid and share this message." Following her post, it went viral.