Archie Battersbee’s mom FUMES at ‘sick and outrageous’ judgment denying son's transfer to hospice
Archie's parents lost their last-ditch legal bid on Friday, August 5, to have their son taken out of the Royal London Hospital
Archie Battersbee's mum Hollie Dance expressed her outrage after a judge refused to let her move her 12-year-old boy to a hospice for his final days. The family has now launched an appeal against the decision.
Archie's parents lost their last-ditch legal bid on Friday, August 5, to have their son taken out of the Royal London Hospital and "spend his last moments" in peace, away from security or medics buzzing around him. Justice Theis said in her judgment that Archie should remain in the hospital when the treatment is withdrawn, reiterating concerns of the Barts Health NHS Trust that found the boy's condition is too unstable for him to be transferred. Doctors said an ambulance journey "would most likely hasten the premature deterioration the family wishes to avoid." However, the boy's parents have now launched an appeal against the judge's decision.
Hollie blasted the High Court judgment as "sick and outrageous" in an interview with Sky News. "All our wishes as a family have been denied by the authorities," she said in a statement. "We are broken but we are keeping going, because we love Archie and refuse to give up on him." The embattled mother previously called the refusal to move her son "inhuman" and said it was "completely barbaric and absolutely disgusting that we're not even allowed to choose where Archie takes his last moments."
The High Court has ruled that Archie Battersbee cannot be moved from hospital to a hospice.— Sky News (@SkyNews) August 5, 2022
His mother, Hollie Dance, said she wanted her son to "spend his last moments" together with his family privately.
Click the link to read more pic.twitter.com/gsZ8jdRQDj
This comes after it was revealed that Hollie may give her son mouth-to-mouth resuscitation if doctors withdraw oxygen as his life support machines are turned off. The devastated mum said she would "continue to give him oxygen" and was "prepared to do anything" to keep him alive. The European Court of Human Rights rejected Hollie and Paul Battersbee's last-ditch appeal to continue their son's life support. The following day, the family filed an application to the High Court to move Archie from Royal London Hospital to a hospice for his final hours.
'They want Archie to have a dignified and peaceful goodbye.'— GB News (@GBNEWS) August 5, 2022
GB News' Ellie Costello is outside the Royal London Hospital as Archie Battersbee's parents submit an appeal against the High Court decision denying them their wish to move their son to a hospice. pic.twitter.com/5O2DiPtgVs
"If Archie is denied oxygen if and when life-support is removed I will continue to give him oxygen," Hollie said in a statement on Thursday. "I pray that the High Court will do the right thing. If they refuse permission for us to take him to a hospice and for him to receive palliative oxygen it will simply be inhumane and nothing about Archie's 'dignity.'" She added, "The whole system has been stacked against us. Reform must now come through Charlie's Law so that no parents have to go through this. We will fight to the end for Archie's right to live."
The heartbroken mother confirmed the family's intentions to keep fighting the legal system. Hollie had previously vowed, "We will fight until the bitter end. We're going to fight for the right for my son to live."