Anita Cobby murder: Man convicted of horrific rape and murder of 26-year-old beauty queen in 1986 is dying of liver cancer

65-year-old Michael Murphy, who is suffering from advanced liver cancer, was moved from the Long Bay jail in Sydney, Australia, into palliative care

                            Anita Cobby murder: Man convicted of horrific rape and murder of 26-year-old beauty queen in 1986 is dying of liver cancer

One of the men who had been convicted of raping and murdering Anita Cobby in a sickening crime that still sends shivers up the spines of Australians to this day is reportedly dying in a hospital.

65-year-old Michael Murphy was moved from the Long Bay Jail in Sydney, Australia into palliative care because he is suffering from an advanced stage of liver cancer. He and four other men, including two of his brothers, had been convicted for the brutal rape and murder of nursing student and beauty queen Cobby in 1986. The 26-year-old had been walking back to her home late at night in Blacktown, west Sydney when the incident occurred.

The Daily Mail reported that she was kidnapped, tortured, raped, and even beaten by the five men. Her body had been discovered in a paddock. The young beauty queen's throat had been slit so violently that her head had almost been decapitated from the rest of her body. It is now being reported that Murphy will not live for very long and Cobby's family has been informed of the transfer from the prison to the Prince of Wales Hospital in Randwick.

Cobby's body had been discovered only two days after she had gone missing. The five men who were convicted of her murder — 22-year-old Leslie Murphy, 28-year-old Gary Murphy, 33-year-old Michael Murphy, 19-year-old Michael Murdoch, and the ringleader 18-year-old John Travers — were sentenced to life behind bars.

It was reported that Cobby had been dragged into a car by the men and was then beaten. She was then repeatedly raped and tortured by the men. They had broken her fingers and her bones were found to be dislocated. Her body was found in a field two days later naked and face down. The young woman had a promising modeling career after winning a teen beauty pageant but she decided to give it up to study nursing instead.

The crucial piece of evidence that had been used in court was the secretly taped confession of the 18-year-old leader of the sick gang, Travers. He said in the recording: "We were all drunk and she f***ing seen all of us. So I just cut her."

Cobby's body had been found in the field in the horrific condition by a local farmer. The discovery was so shocking that it was all over the news and a nationwide manhunt began for her killers. All five of them men were apprehended within three weeks after discovery of the body.


John Cobby, the young nursing student's devastated husband, told the Daily Telegraph that he did not have any sympathy for Murphy when he was informed of the transfer. He said: "You can’t print what I wish happens to him. When I heard he was in palliative care, I shared a message with someone who was very close to Anita saying, 'one down, four to go'."

Justice Alan Maxwell described the aspiring nurse's murder as "one of the most horrifying physical and sexual assaults" when he was sentencing the killers to life behind bars during the highly teleised trial.