How did Andrew J Arista die? US marine, 20, found dead while on duty at Washington barracks

How did Andrew J Arista die? US marine, 20, found dead while on duty at Washington barracks
(Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)

According to a military official, the lifeless body of a 20-year-old US marine was found on Wednesday, July 21, at 2.30 am while the man was on duty at Marine Barracks Washington, which is part of the Washington Navy Yard complex.

The news comes a month after NJ Marine recruit Dalton Beals, 19, died after the grueling 54-hour Crucible training without food or sleep at the Parris Island Marine Corps Recruit Depot in Port Royal, South Carolina.


US military leaders slam Capitol riot as 'sedition' in rare memo to troops, remind them to follow lawful orders


Donald Trump Jr backs Tucker Carlson after Pentagon slams Fox host for calling women in military 'a mockery'

Last year, Ashley Nickless, Mel B's former bodyguard, was found hanging in his military uniform and medals after a long battle with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). He had reportedly seen his friends getting killed in Afghanistan and was left with shrapnel in his arm. Suicide rates have increased in the US Army in recent times following the Covid pandemic, but the figure has been lower in the Navy.


What happened to Andrew J Arista?

Lance Corporal Andrew J Arista of Garden Grove, California, was discovered dead at the Marine Barracks 8th and I's Annex site in Navy Yard, where he served as a Squad Leader for Guard Company.

When the Metropolitan Police Department got on the site, they saw Arista receiving CPR. According to a police report, the marine succumbed to his injuries and was declared dead on the scene at 3.07 am. According to the report, while DC Police would not disclose how Arista died, an M4 colt carbine was collected as evidence at the site. The weapon is a lighter and shorter variant of the M16A2 assault rifle.


"The command's priorities are to take care of our Marines and Lance Cpl Arista's family and friends," said Col Teague Pastel, commanding commander of Marine Barracks. The death is presently being investigated by DC Police, who think there was no foul play involved. Arista's death is still being investigated, and no one in the area is in danger. According to the statement, he was discovered in the Marine Barracks 8th and I's Annex site.


Arista worked for Guard Company as a squad leader. The National Defense Service Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal are among his awards.

Share this article:

 Andrew J Arista US marine 20 found dead alleged suicide while on duty