About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy Terms of Use Accuracy & Fairness Corrections & Clarifications Ethics Code Your Ad Choices
© MEAWW All rights reserved

Toddler dies locked inside super-hot car as mom and her boyfriend binge-watch 'Shameless' inside house

The victim spent five hours inside the locked vehicle in high heat before being rushed to Townsville University Hospital
(Getty Images)
(Getty Images)

A 3-year-old child died after being left inside a hot car for hours as mother and her boyfriend binge-watched Netflix's hit series 'Shameless' inside the house, a court heard. The incident took place at a home in Burdell, in Townsville's north, Australia, on Friday, November 27. Laura Black, 37, and Aaron Hill, 29, were accused of leaving toddler Rylee Rose Black inside a Toyota Prado. The victim spent five hours inside the locked vehcile in boiling temperatures before being rushed to Townsville University Hospital where she couldn't be revived, police alleged. 

The couple were charged with manslaughter over the girl's death and on Monday, November 30, they were granted bail after appearing in the Townsville Magistrates Court. The court heard that Black and Hill dropped Black's three other daughters off at school before arriving home around 9.50 am local time. Police prosecutor Tasman Murphy alleged the couple got into an argument on the way back. The suspects then completely forgot about Rylee who fell asleep in her booster seat in the backseat of the four-wheel drive. The car then pulled up outside their home and Rylee was allegedly locked inside it.

Murphy added that while inside the house binge-watching hit Netflix show 'Shameless,' the couple didn't talk about where the toddler was all day. They only noticed that Rylee had not been taken out of the car and was there the whole time when they got into the car at 2.45 pm to pick the other children up from school. "They turned around and seeing the victim child's head slumped over… removed her from her booster seat to attempt CPR," Murphy said.

Black and Hill rushed to Townsville University Hospital where Rylee was pronounced dead. On the same day, the pair were charged with manslaughter of the little child. Hill's lawyer said her client deserved to be granted bail because it was "one of an unintentional act." Bail was granted on the condition that the pair live in separate houses. While Hill will live in the house where the couple used to live at the time of the incident, Black will be moving out. The couple, who have been together for three months, had moved in together on November 18.

A GoFundMe page was set up to raise money for Rylee's father, Pete, and her siblings on Sunday. It raised more than $6,500 at the time of writing this article of its goal of $15,000. "Dear little Rylee Rose grew her angel wings on Friday, November 27, 2020. She leaves behind her loving, devoted and devastated father Pete and her four older sisters," the description in the page said. "No one should experience a loss like this. We are seeking your support to help this loving family get through this tragic time. Heartfelt thanks for your donation and words of comfort at this time."

The page was also filled with tributes from the donors who helped raise the sum. "I am so sorry for this terrible tragedy inflicted upon this beautiful little girl and her family. Rest assured she is with our Father in heaven," one of them read, while another said, "I send you love & healing for your tragic loss... truly a special little sweetheart has grown her angel wings."