VIDEO: Moment pickaxe-wielding man destroys Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame star
The incident came to light when pictures of the Donald Trump star smashed to smithereens — rendered unrecognizable — began doing the rounds of social media.
A video clip has emerged catching the man in the act who destroyed President Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame star earlier this week.
The incident came to light when pictures of the Donald Trump star smashed to smithereens — rendered unrecognizable — began doing the rounds of social media on Wednesday.
The clip, obtained by TMZ, shows a 24-year-old Austin Clay hammering away at Trump's star on early Wednesday morning, at around 3 am in Los Angeles.
Soooo Trump's Hollywood star of fame was destroyed beyond repair w a pick axe... the best part, James Otis the guy who first destroyed the star back in 2016 is paying the 20,000 bail for Austin Clay the guy who destroyed it now. #faithinhumanityrestored #slowly pic.twitter.com/oArJiKZouD— Cathrine (@urbabymoms) July 26, 2018
The footage shows passerby appearing unfazed as Clay repeatedly pounds the president's star with a pickaxe and eventually demolishes it entirely. A man, at one point in the video, can be seen standing close to the scene but Clay appears to pay no heed to him and continues hammering away.
Reports state that the video was taken before Clay fled and left his pickaxe at the scene. He reportedly later called the police and confessed to the vandalism. Reports state that Clay was carrying the pickaxe in a guitar case.
Clay now faces felony vandalism charges, which could cost him a $10,000 fine and up to three years of jail term, according to the Daily Mail.
The suspect's girlfriend, while talking to CBS Los Angeles, said that she did not know that Clay was going to destroy the star. She, however, added that she was aware that he had a major issue with the president.
CBS also reported that the clip showed Clay's girlfriend twerking over the star and dancing around it after he demolished it.
The Los Angeles police department has not yet released the motive of the vandalism. Clay, however, is being held on a $20,000 bail.
According to jail records, Clay remained in custody, on Wednesday night, however, he may soon be released because of James Otis. Otis was arrested in November 2016 for a similar incident, when he used a pickaxe to destroy Trump's star, right before the presidential elections.
Man Who Destroyed Trump’s Hollywood Star Reportedly Offers Bail To New Vandal: James Otis, who smashed Trump's star in 2016, told TMZ he offered to pay Austin Clay’s $20,000 bail. https://t.co/fPu5qYZeFC pic.twitter.com/QroqeB3U7L— Doyle Industries (@DoyleGlobal) July 26, 2018
Otis was booked for felony vandalism and pleased no contest in February 2017. Reports state that Otis was also sentenced to three years of probation and 20 days of community service. He also had to pay up $4,400 in fines, reports state.
Otis was dressed as a construction worker at the time of the incident and also used a sledgehammer to destroy the star. He said that his aim was to remove the star, auction it and donate the money raised from the auction to assist women who have accused Trump of sexual assault.
Otis has offered to pay Clay's bail and is reportedly working to free Clay from prison and wants to meet him in person, TMZ reported.
Trump was honored with the Hollywood Walk of Fame star in January 2007. The Republican, who is very vocal on Twitter, has not yet publicly commented on the incident.