Three-year-old girl drowns in bathtub after mother leaves her unattended for a few minutes
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, drowning has been said to be one of the main causes of unintentional death among children who are aged between 1 and 4
The authorities said on March 7 that a 3-year-old girl in Decatur died after she was found unresponsive inside the bathtub at her family home. The officials at the medical examiner's office in Tarrant County have identified the child victim as Eve. The little girl died on March 5 afternoon, which was four days after she was found unresponsive in the bathtub by her mother. A ruling connected to her death is still pending an autopsy.
Officers from the Decatur Police Department responded to the family home at around 11:53 a.m. on March 1 after a woman reported that she found her toddler daughter underwater in the bathtub. Rex Hoskins from the Decatur PD told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram in a telephone interview on March 7: "The mother put her child in the bathtub and then walked into another room to tend to two other kids. She came back and found the child face-down in the bathtub."
The mother reportedly pulled her child out of the bathtub, dialed 911 in a panic and performed CPR on her daughter as instructed by the dispatcher. The mother also told the authorities that she had only been gone from the bathroom for a few minutes before she found her child unresponsive. Eve was taken to a local hospital in Decatur and was then moved to the Fort Worth hospital. Decatur is located 34 miles to the north of Fort Worth. Hoskins said in the interview: "It was a tragic accident."
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), drowning has been said to be one of the main causes of unintentional death among children who are between 1 and 4 years old. The CPSC also reported that from 2006 up until 2010, around 434 children who were younger than 5 years died in bathtubs, buckets, bath seats, toilets, and landscaping features. The organization also said that bathtubs were the second-leading location of toddler drownings after pools.
Experts have disagreed, however, on the matter of when a child is old enough to be left alone inside a bathtub with many saying that the child should be at least school age. However, experts often advise that parents should never leave their children alone in the bath or be distracted by a smartphone while watching them in the bath or take on any other task during this time because even that little amount of time is enough for tragedy to strike. A child at such a young age often finds it difficult to articulate or find support to save themselves from any danger they may face in the water.
A GoFundMe campaign was started for the family to help them pay for medical bills as well as funeral costs for the toddler. It has raised a little more than $8,000 of the $50,000 goal.