Syrian refugee who was 'waterboarded' by bully in Huddersfield school asks public not to hurt his attacker after online abuse
The 16-year-old accused, who is set to be charged with assault, reportedly had to flee the country along with his mother after a video of the bullying incident became viral on social media, subjecting him to online abuse.
The Syrian refugee, identified as Jamal, who was assaulted and "waterboarded" by a teenager at a Huddersfield school, has urged people to not harras or attack the boy accused of bullying him.
The 16-year-old accused, who is set to be charged with assault, reportedly had to flee the country along with his mother after a video of the bullying incident became viral on social media, subjecting him to online abuse. Jamal, however, has called for an end to this online abuse and has said that he is "very concerned" about the violent comments going around on social media about the bully.
The clip of the incident, which occurred in October, showed Jamal walking alone as he is approached, tackled and pinned to the floor by the accused at Almondbury Community School. The video then showed the teenager dragging Jamal to the floor and saying: "I'll drown you" before pouring a bottle of water on his face as other students in the school gathered around and watched. Jamal gradually frees himself from the boy's group and walks away without reacting.
Studies show a shocking 42% of Muslim students face bullying in school—from students *and* from teachers— Qasim Rashid, Esq. (@MuslimIQ) November 28, 2018
I see many people rightfully angry at the bully, but remember this doesnt happen in a vacuum.
We must stop the disease of hate radicalizing the bullyhttps://t.co/7q9DdLBVuw
Jamal spoke on Friday about the incident and said: "I am very concerned about the violent comments going out on social media about the bully. I don’t want anything terrible to happen to him at all. I just don’t want anything bad to happen to anyone," according to the Mirror.
It was also revealed on Friday that the Syrian teenager had written to authorities about the incident and had pleaded for help three weeks before the incident occurred. Reports state that Jamal contacted the police his and council about the incident, however, no one paid attention to it.
BBC News - Huddersfield school 'attack':Boy,16, to be charged https://t.co/zhsjhaZ1gF - Hope full extent of law is exercised! Saw this attack on Twitter earlier and felt sick. To see the poor lad walk away all alone haunts me. Hope it never happens to anyone else here for #Refuge— Iain Cameron (@Iaincameron5) November 28, 2018
Cllr Bernard McGuin, on Friday, revealed that Jamal had mailed him pleading "please help me" on October 27, just two days before the attack had occurred. The 15-year-old had also written to his school, West Yorkshire Police, Kirklees Council, Ofsted and the Department for Education, on October 4 about the bullying he was facing at school.
Jamal, in the mail, had reportedly suggested that he had been bullied for nearly two years. Cllr McGuin said: “He said the police and the school had not helped him. He felt nobody could help him.” Reports state that Cllr McGuin had sent the case to the council’s director of children’s services, Steve Walker.