Six-month-old baby left unattended drowns in the bath while mother was busy browsing through Facebook and Instagram

Kayla Lynton was arrested in Tel Aviv for the death of six-month-old Naomi in July and investigations are on to see if she was active on social media when the tragedy took place

                            Six-month-old baby left unattended drowns in the bath while mother was busy browsing through Facebook and Instagram

The mother of a baby, who drowned in the bath, while she allegedly went to check Facebook, is being probed by Israeli police over allegations that she left the child unattended.

The 23-year-old Kayla Lynton was arrested in Tel Aviv by police for the death of six-month-old Naomi in July. Married to a British recruitment worker, Ilan Lynton, Kayla was initially believed to have left the baby to go to the toilet.

Kayla Lynton (Facebook)
Kayla Lynton (Facebook)

But prosecutors are now investigating allegations that Kayla may have been on the social media site when the tragedy happened. By the time Kayla called ­emergency workers, Naomi could not be saved.

Naomi’s father confirmed his wife’s mobile had been seized by police as part of their investigation. A source told Mirror that "Kayla is currently waiting for a court date. She’s on a surety bond which means she must appear in court and at a police station when she’s required."

"Police are looking at whether she was on social media when she should have been caring for her daughter. She’s obviously devastated and now she’s having to deal with a potential criminal case as well," the source added.

Kayla's lawyer also spoke to the publication and said "Kayla does not know what to do with herself. After she saw Naomi was unconscious she tried to resuscitate her and she called emergency workers and police. We are now waiting for the police to decide if they will indict her and for what."

The conditions of a 2,000-shekel (£420) surety bond reveal that police are investigating several possible charges; "Causing severe injury to the helpless; neglect of a minor or a person unable to provide for own needs; injury through negligence; and negligent supervision of a child."

Kayla's husband Ilan was at work when he received a frantic phone call shortly after 3 pm. Kayla had just discovered Naomi had slipped below the water and was unconscious.

The baby was taken to the Ichilov Hospital where she died after a week in coma and her kidneys were donated to another girl.

Kayla was questioned by officers from Tel Aviv’s Dizengoff Police Station who are now investigating claims of neglect. They are said to be looking at a 10-minute timeline leading up to Naomi’s drowning during which Kayla is alleged to have accessed Facebook and Instagram.

Legal experts in Israel believe that the most severe potential offense, if Kayla is indicted, carries a possible nine-year sentence.

Kayla and her British husband previously ran a child care business and married shortly after meeting in 2015. The couple had their first child Elizabeth, who is now two. Ilan and Kayla are understood to have separated since Naomi’s death.