MGM sued after 6-year-old girl electrocuted and left paralyzed for life after touching lit up fountain rail at Maryland resort

MGM National Harbor Hotel in Oxon Hill is under fire after six-year-old Zynae Green was electrocuted by a handrail and left severely brain-damaged for life.


                            MGM sued after 6-year-old girl electrocuted and left paralyzed for life after touching lit up fountain rail at Maryland resort

Ever since Zynae Green touched a lit-up railing near an illuminated water fountain at the MGM National Harbor Hotel in Oxon Hill, Maryland, five months ago, she can no longer walk or talk.

The six-year-old received a jolt of 120 volts of electricity, 10 times the amount needed to power the handrail lighting, and went into cardiac arrest almost immediately, Daily Mail reports.

That said, a security guard was also electrocuted after he tried to rush in and pull little Zynae off the railing. Other family members who tried to rescue her, including Carlos Green Jr, five, and Monya Rosier, 16, were also electrocuted in the process and had to be hospitalized for several days with non-life-threatening injuries.



 

Following the June 26 incident, Zynae spent two months at a hospital and was subsequently transferred to an acute-care rehabilitation facility in Baltimore. She had suffered anoxic brain damage from the horrific incident and is now in a semi-vegetative state, according to Benedict Morelli, Zynae's family's lawyer. Speaking to the New York Post, Morelli said: "From what we know medically, she will never recover."

Zynae's mother, Rydricka Rosier, posted a heart-rending footage of her sixth birthday party on Sunday. In the clip, Zynae is unable to respond or even smile as her doctors gather and sing around her.

"Today is my baby's birthday. Thanks to everyone for celebrating but it breaks my heart that she is here and not at home," Rosier wrote in the caption. "Five months since MGM did this to our family and still no help from them. Our Zy Zy is a fighter but she needs help."



 

MGM National Habor and MGM National Grand are now being sued by Zynae's family for negligence. According to them, MGM is responsible for the faulty wiring that led to little Zynae's electrocution. The lawsuit, which is due to be filed in Prince George County on Monday, claims that the organization hastily rushed to open the resort following the legalization of gambling in Maryland. Also, the resort didn't have a defibrillator in hand to help revive Zynae following the accident, the suit states.

General view of the atmosphere at the MGM National Harbor Grand Opening Gala on December 8, 2016, in National Harbor, Maryland. (Getty)
General view of the atmosphere at the MGM National Harbor Grand Opening Gala on December 8, 2016, in National Harbor, Maryland. (Getty)

According to the family lawyer, MGM has not offered to cover any of the costs for Zynae's rehabilitation - a claim that the resort vehemently denies. "The incident at National Harbor was a tragic accident and we are all heartbroken that Zynae Green and her family continue to suffer," a statement from MGM read.

"We are committed to continue working with the family’s representative to reach a resolution. In the meantime, we will respond to this lawsuit in the appropriate venue, which is in court."



 

On the other hand, the organization has blamed the contractor it hired to wire the Potomac Plaza, which is an outdoor patio area featuring a lit-up fountain and staircase.

"MGM Resorts hires licensed, reputable construction and inspection companies to perform work that meets or exceeds state and local building codes," the statement read. "The findings of faulty wiring contained in a report released by the county shows that the high standards that MGM Resorts expects of those contractors were not upheld, which is very disturbing and disappointing. We do not compromise safety when constructing our facilities."