15-year-old martial arts champion electrocuted while bathing after phone kept for charging falls into water

Irina Rybnikova, who had recently been selected for her country's national pankration team, was found dead in her bath at her home in Bratsk, Russia


                            15-year-old martial arts champion electrocuted while bathing after phone kept for charging falls into water

A schoolgirl who was charging her iPhone in her bathroom was fatally electrocuted when the device fell into the water.

According to local reports, 15-year-old Iriana Rybnikova, a martial arts champion, was found dead in her bath at her residence in Bratsk, Russia, on Saturday after she had been using a cable to charge her cell phone. Rybnikova, who had been selected for her country's national pankration team — an ancient Greek form of "no rules" boxing and wrestling — was "dreaming of becoming a world champion," her pal said.


 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by 🇷🇺Russian Federation🇷🇺 (@_sergeevna_pankration_) on


 

In a conversation with the Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper, Iriana's 25-year-old sister Tatiana said she was a "beautiful girl with many friends."

"In August she became the godmother to my little daughter," she said. "My child adored her and called her 'nanny'. And now she is not with us anymore. Our hearts are broken. It is so quiet and feels empty at home without her."


 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by 🇷🇺Russian Federation🇷🇺 (@_sergeevna_pankration_) on


 

Another friend of Rybnikova, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said: "She was a great person, the best and the most loved. She always dreamed of success in sports. We wanted to go together with her to another city and study there. Everybody loved her, she was sociable, kind and beautiful."

The 15-year-old champion's sports federation issued a statement saying: "A tragic accident has taken the life of our champion, friend, mate and student Irina Rybnikova, 15. She was a candidate for Master of Sports in pankration, our beloved girl. Rest in peace."


 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by 🇷🇺Russian Federation🇷🇺 (@_sergeevna_pankration_) on


 

Russian safety officials have previously raised alarms about the dangers of charging cell phones in bathrooms. Back in February this year, Kseniya P, another Russian schoolgirl, was electrocuted in a similar manner when her charging smartphone mistakenly fell into the water. After the 12-year-old's phone ran out of power while she was listening to music, she plugged it in to charge and dropped the charging device into the water by mistake.

The previous month, a 21-year-old pregnant woman was electrocuted in her bath in France just days before she would give birth. Another incident last year saw Madison Coe, 14, from Lovington, New Mexico, get electrocuted while using her phone in the bathroom. Coe reportedly died after touching the frayed extension cord she was using to charge the phone, The Sun reports.