Man who plotted acid attack on three-year-old child is brutally beaten by fellow inmates as he serves 12 years for his crimes
Jabar Paktia has been attacked by fellow inmates multiple times while he has been serving a 12 year sentence for his part in the acid attack orchestrated on a three-year-old boy.
A man was battered by inmates on three different occasions since his incarceration after he plotted an acid attack on a three-year-old boy on July 21, 2018.
Ever since the July 21 attack in which he plotted to spray sulphuric acid on the child, Jabar Paktia has been attacked multiple times by fellow inmates, Daily Mail reports. Addressing the Worcester Crown Court, Paktia's lawyer Balraj Bhatia claimed the attacks on his client had led to significant injuries. "He has been attacked on three separate occasions in custody, receiving significant injuries as a result," Bhatia said, per Metro. "He accepts he has been injured and may continue to be injured."
The 42-year-old from Newhampton Road, Wolverhampton, planned the sickening plot along with the child's father, who hoped to make the boy's mother look unfit to take care of him and thereby obstruct her ongoing divorce battle with him.
The young boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was ambushed at a Home Bargains store in Worcester and sustained severe burns to his face and arm after the acid attack. Paktia, along with co-conspirators Adam Cech, Jan Dudi, Norbert Pulko and Saied Hussini were sentenced to prison on Wednesday for between 12 and 14 years at the Worcester Crown Court.
The 40-year-old father, who originally hails from Afghanistan and who also cannot be named for legal reasons, was convicted and jailed for 16 years in a unanimous jury verdict. The boy's mother said in a victim impact statement read to the court that she will be "in greater danger than before" after the father is released from prison.
The defendants had carried out a "monstrous" crime with "obviously strong acid" which came from a car battery, Judge Robert Juckes QC, sentencing, told the court.
"It is an extraordinary thing in this case that not one of you, most of whom have no previous convictions, most of whom with families of your own, at any stage stood back and asked the question of yourself and others: 'what are we doing?'" he said.
As the verdict was read out, nine bailiffs surrounded the defendants in the dock to prevent a full-scale protest. While giving evidence from the witness box, the father denied any wrongdoing or having ever met with Pulko.
Upon hearing his denial, Pulko scoffed and shook his head as the jury was shown CCTV footage of the pair meeting in a pub parking lot just hours before the attack. The father was caught red-handed on tape "handing over acid" to his co-conspirator.
(Warning: Distressing footage) Watch the acid attack on the three-year-old here:
Meanwhile, Cech admitted to throwing the substance in court and pointed the finger at Pulko, saying he had been threatened at gunpoint to carry out the attack. Dock officers and bailiffs became concerned that there would be trouble when the verdicts were read out, and so asked Judge Robert Juckes QC for extra security while the jury deliberated.
The victim's father couldn't believe his ears when he was found guilty of conspiracy to supply a corrosive fluid with intent to burn, maim, disable or disfigure his son or do him grievous bodily harm. Judge Juckes, sentencing, said, "Everyone asked what on earth would lead a father to have acid sprayed upon his own son - what kind of people would carry out such an attack? I started this trial in the hope that I might gain some insight and some answer to this question, but I have not."
Speaking after the hearing, the victim's mother said she "couldn't sleep for weeks" after the attack and had "repeat nightmares about what happened that day," reported the BBC. The boy is said to have made a "good recovery" and is now living with his mother.