Prince Harry 'fell out' with Prince William for not 'rolling out the red carpet' for Meghan Markle following their engagement
An insider close to the royal family said that Harry believed that his older brother was not making an effort to welcome his then-fiancee into the family
Prince Harry "fell out" with her older brother, Prince William, because he "felt he wasn't rolling out the red carpet" for Meghan Markle after the two announced their engagement, sources have revealed.
An insider close to the royal family said that 34-year-old Harry believed that William, 36, was not making an effort to welcome his then-fiancee into the royal family. According to the source, it was only when their father, Prince Charles, stepped in that the tension between the two was finally dissipated.
This led William and Kate inviting Harry and Meghan to their Norfolk home to spend Christmas with them.
The news comes in the middle of rumors that a divide has formed between the Cambridges and Sussexes after the announcement that Harry and Meghan would be moving from Kensington Palace and into Frogmore Cottage. Vanity Fair found out from the source that while Meghan and Kate have made an effort to get along and "any issues are between the brothers".
A mutual friend, meanwhile, said: "Harry felt William wasn’t rolling out the red carpet for Meghan and told him so. They had a bit of a fall out which was only resolved when Charles stepped in and asked William to make an effort. That’s when the Cambridges invited the Sussexes to spend Christmas with them."
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex spent the night at Anmer Hall in Norfolk for Christmas Eve in 2017 and joined the Queen along with the rest of the royal family at Sandringham for Christmas Day.
Kensington Palace made the announcement on November 24 that Harry and Meghan would be moving into Frogmore Cottage in Windsor before the arrival of their first child in spring next year. It was speculated for a long time before the announcement that the couple would move into Apartment 1 at Kensington Palace next to William and Kate's 22-room home. After the announcement was made, sources made it very clear that there was no bad blood between the Cambridges and the Sussexes.
A source told the Daily Mail: "The idea of the two of them as "the boys", the brothers doing everything together and living in each other's pockets, has been pushed with good intentions, but hasn't really existed for some time. The truth is that they have both just grown up. They are rare in that they live together and work together, but there has been a stepping back. They are still incredibly close, closer than most siblings, but now Harry has married and is about to become a father, so it's a good time for him to be planning his own future. There is no acrimony."
Other sources have suggested that Harry and Meghan's options in London were very limited and that they wanted their children to grow up away from the "goldfish bowl" of Kensington Palace. One source said: "The truth is that there simply isn't enough room at Kensington Palace for them and I know they have been looking at Windsor as a possibility since before the wedding."
There are still other sources, however, who have said that there could have been tensions between the two Duchesses before the royal wedding took place in May. The Telegraph also reported that two sources told them that Kate had been "in tears" after 3-year-old Princess Charlotte's bridesmaid dress fitting earlier in 2018.