GoFundMe promises to pay $400,000 'stolen' from homeless man by the couple who set up his fundraiser
GoFundMe said that it will ensure that Johnny Bobbit receives whatever is left of the sum promised by the couple, Mark D'Amico and Kate McClure.
The for-profit crowdfunding platform, GoFundMe, on Thursday said that it will pay the full balance of $400,000 to the homeless man who claims he was cheated by the couple who helped raise the money through donations on the website.
GoFundMe has said that it will ensure Johnny Bobbit receives whatever is left of the sum he was promised by the couple, Mark D'Amico and Kate McClure.
The fundraising campaign was set up by McClure in October last year after Bobbit used his last $20 to buy petrol for McClure who was stranded on a motorway in Philadelphia. The woman, touched by Bobbit's gesture, eventually decided to raise money to thank Bobbit and better his financial conditions.
However, it was reported earlier this week that the entire amount - $400,000 - raised for him was gone from his fund as Bobbit accused McClure and her boyfriend Mark D’Amico of stealing the donations from him, according to reports.
Police officials confirmed that they raided the couple's house in New Jersey on Wednesday and towed away their newly-purchased BMW. Reports state that the authorities searched their place to determine what happened to the money raised for Bobbit.
There are reports that the couple only paid a portion of the money raised to Bobbit and used the rest of the amount to go for holidays and gambling. No charge has been filed against the couple yet.
A police spokesperson released a statement, saying: "Due to the enormous public interest in this matter, I am confirming that a search warrant was executed early this morning at the residence of Mark D’Amico and Katelyn McClure in connection with a criminal investigation into the Johnny Bobbitt matter. As of this time, there have been no charges filed."
Philadelphia Inquirer reported that GoFundMe issued a joint statement with a Philadelphia law firm, which is representing Bobbit.
BMW hauled away from Bordentown home where authorities executing search warrant. Kate McClure and Mark D’Amico accused of defrauding a homeless veteran of donations. pic.twitter.com/j6DANOmOUd— Katherine Scott (@KScott6abc) September 6, 2018
"GoFundMe's goal has always been to ensure Johnny gets [the] support he deserves. We'll continue to assist with the ongoing law enforcement investigation.”
"The company is also actively taking steps to allow contributing donors to get their money back," the statement said.
Meanwhile, Bobbit's lawyer, Christopher C. Fallon Jr., while talking to nj.com, said: "There is no money left. Where the money went, I have no idea," while adding that his client had been left "completely devastated" and is back on drugs.