Father stabs 10-month-old son to death because he saw the child 'having a 666 on him'

The arrest report said that the child's mother had left the apartment for a little while to run some errands and had put Hidalgo in charge of watching the infant and another child

                            Father stabs 10-month-old son to death because he saw the child 'having a 666 on him'
(Source:Getty Images)

A man was arrested by Ogden authorities in Utah after being linked to the death of his infant son, whose body was discovered in a trash can in their house with stab wounds on his neck last Friday.

Thirty seven-year-old Alex Hidalgo was arrested early on July 22 morning on suspicion of aggravated murder, obstruction of justice, and abuse or desecration of a dead human body.

According to Ogden Police Captain Danielle Croyle, 10-month-old Alex Hidalgo Jr., was found in a trash can at Madison Manor Apartments, 2434 Madison Avenue, around 4 pm on July 20. The infant was immediately taken to a nearby hospital where medical personnel pronounced him dead.

Records from the prison showed that the father was arrested and booked into the Weber County on suspicion of aggravated murder, obstruction of justice, and abuse or desecration of a dead human body.

The authorities had initially named Hidalgo as a person of interest in the case but were not able to find him till July 21 evening.   

The arrest report said that the child's mother had left the apartment for a little while on some errands, and had put Hidalgo in charge of watching Hidalgo Jr. as well as another child. When she got back home, she found Hidalgo sitting on the couch and reading a Bible while watching a religious video.

To the mother's horror, Hidalgo said that he had built an altar "like they had talked about" when she enquired about the whereabouts of their son. The report also stated that when Hidalgo finally started talking about their son, he said that he saw the child "having a 666 on him" and that he was dead, reported Newsweek.

The frantic mother searched the entire apartment and finally found her son's body in a garbage can in a closet in the apartment. According to the report, Hidalgo left the apartment shortly after that. One of the neighbors along with the infant's mother started performing CPR on the child until the paramedics arrived at the apartment and took the child to McKay Dee Hospital. 

Reports stated that after investigators responded to the call from the home they found blood in multiple areas inside. They were also able to find evidence of what looked like efforts to clean up the scene after the crime. Later, a medical examiner said that the infant had died after receiving three stab wounds to the neck. Authorities found Hidalgo at around 9:30 pm on July 21 in an abandoned residence near 539 22nd Street. He was found with blood on his clothes, hands and arms, and his wrist as well. He was immediately taken into custody and booked into jail. 

According to court documents, Hidalgo has a long criminal history dating back to 1999, and which includes a child sexual assault case from 2003 that was later dismissed by the court due to a lack of evidence.

Croyle said that the Weber County Homicide Task Force, Weber-Metro Crime Scene Investigators and the Utah Division of Child and Family Services all assisted with the investigation.

In another horrifying incident, a 36-year-old father who has been accused of brutally murdering his five-year-old son, was allegedly treated at two separate mental health institutes and then turned away from the third one just days before his son was killed.]

The man was charged soon after it was found that he had allegedly stabbed his son to death at a home in Carlingford, north-west Sydney, Australia. The alleged attack took place early on June 8. The young child's grandmother was in hysterics and fled with the boy in her hands for about 400 meters before she finally remembered to dial the emergency services. Paramedics who responded to the scene immediately rushed the boy and his grandmother to the nearest hospital but the child, unfortunately, died of his injuries right after reaching the hospital, the Daily Mail reported.

Reports from The Daily Telegraph said the accused murderer had gone to a hospital in Sydney last week because he was getting more and more concerned about his mental health. It's been alleged that he was turned away from the facility. The man went on to allegedly murder his son just a few hours later. The man had got himself treated for his mental health issues at two separate mental health facilities over the last few months. 

A mechanic by profession, the 36-year-old father reportedly told the authorities that he believed his five-year-old son was "the devil". He claimed that this is why he had attacked the young child after the mother left for work on June 8. The grandmother, 60, was the one who found the "sweet boy" with stab wounds on his body and fighting for his life. She tried to save him by running away from the scene of the attack in desperation. Once she felt she was a safe distance away from the home, she called the emergency services.

The father appeared for his hearing at the Parramatta Bail Court on June 9 through a video link from the Amber Laurel Correctional Center. The court heard that the man's family has actually tried to find the father some help just a few days before he launched the alleged attack against his child.

9News reported that the father had only recently taken some personal time off of work. He was turned away from the third mental health facility that his family had tried to check him into because the facility did not have any more beds. The grandfather of the child said: "There is a lot more to this." When the father appeared at the hearing through the video link, he was reportedly very confused and asked: "Where am I?"

Neighbors who live close to the home where the incident took place told the Daily Mail that the father "cared for that boy very much". One of the witnesses spoke about how the grandmother's attempt to get her grandson to safety as "brave". Another neighbor who lived close by, Hank, told the publication: "He was a very sweet little boy. The relationship between the father and son was a doting relationship. [He] ran to his father when he wanted help."

Rob Critchlow, the New South Wales Police Superintendent, only had words of praise for the grandmother's act of bravery but said that "despite her best efforts, there was nothing more she could have done". He described the level of violence done to the little boy as "horrendous". 

The investigation into the stabbing murder is currently in its early stages. The officer said at the scene of the crime on June 8: "The fact a young boy — five years of age — has died from being injured in his home, it's probably about as bad as it gets." The boy, studying in elementary school, was rushed to the Westmead Children's Hospital but he could not be saved. The father will appear in court on July 30.

Disclaimer : This is based on sources and we have been unable to verify this information independently.