Kaydence Mills: Bones of toddler found in remote dam four years after she was tortured to death by mother

She has been missing since 2016 and the investigation was launched in 2019

                            Kaydence Mills: Bones of toddler found in remote dam four years after she was tortured to death by mother
(Getty Images)

Police have found a child’s remains in an Australian dam four years after she went missing. On Monday, June 15, police said that the bones they found at Chinchilla Weir, about 180 miles (300km) west of Brisbane, in March were of Kaydence Mills.

Detectives reportedly found the remains days after charging Kaydence’s mother Sinitta Dawita, 28, and her 40-year-old fiancé Tane Desatge with her murder. The pair have also been charged with interfering with a corpse and torture. It has been alleged that the two tortured the two-year-old Mills to death. Reports also said that Desatge is not the father of the girl but was in a relationship with her mother Dawita at the time Mills was allegedly killed.

Mills was born in September 2014 but had not been seen since 2016. The investigation into the case was reportedly launched in November 2019, three years after she vanished, to know what happened to the little girl. The charges against Mills’ mother and Desatge have also stemmed from the same police investigation. 

Reports also claimed that before investigators found Mill’s bones in the dam, they searched a home in Chinchilla too, where they dug up the backyard. Detectives took the help of cadaver dogs, but could not find anything. Police said they would not be commenting on the case now because charges have been made and a court case is expected. The suspects, Dawita and Desatge, remain in police custody and are expected to appear at the Dalby Magistrates Court later this month for a mention.

Meanwhile, Mills’ family members described her as a “beautiful little girl” who walked with a limp. According to them, the toddler was the middle child of five siblings. Earlier, the family told the Daily Mercury: “There's a little girl and she's missing and we don't know what's happened to her. It needs to be brought out of the dark because it's been hidden in the dark for too long.”

In another incident, a mother was sentenced to life in prison in Western Australia after she killed her four-month-old baby girl by violently shaking her. Cassandra Rose Doohan murdered her baby because her "fantasy" of motherhood did not meet her expectations. According to reports, Doohan was 18 when she killed her baby Anastasia by "vigorously" shaking her, which inflicted catastrophic head and neck injuries on the child.

The incident took place in May 2017 at her home in Capel, in Perth's South West region. The child's father reportedly found her "floppy" body in her cot after he came out of the shower. She was rushed to the Princess Margaret Hospital in Perth, where she succumbed to injuries two days later.

Doohan initially pleaded not guilty to the murder, but later admitted to her crime. She was sentenced to at least 13 years in prison before she can be eligible for parole. The court heard that the child protection had become involved with the family weeks before Anastasia's death after the four-month-old was spotted with bruises.

If you have a news scoop or an interesting story for us, please reach out at (323) 421-7514