Arkansas woman who witnessed a murder was kidnapped and then thrown off a bridge

Gilliam has been arrested but Webb is still at large. They are being charged with capital murder, attempted capital murder, aggravated residential burglary, and kidnapping

                            Arkansas woman who witnessed a murder was kidnapped and then thrown off a bridge


The kidnapping

A 42-year old woman was kidnapped and then thrown off a bridge after she witnessed the fatal shooting of Arlin Nugent. She managed to swim to safety even though the water was frigid.

The murder took place on Christmas morning and the woman was found suffering from hypothermia by the Little Rock police.

KATV reported that the woman was heard by people screaming for help and they called 911. Police found the woman and she is now being treated at a hospital.

According to a police report, the woman was kidnapped and thrown off the Interstate 430 bridge. She was thrown into the Arkansas River which was around 32-degree Fahrenheit (0-degree Celsius) at that time.

The woman saw a home invasion in progress 15 miles southeast of Little Rock in Scott. She told authorities that she then saw a shooting and was kidnapped because she witnessed it.

49-year-old Arlin Nugent died at the scene of the crime according to officials representing the Lonoke County sheriff.

There was another person who was wounded during the attack and was taken to the hospital but authorities did not reveal how that person is doing at the moment.

On Christmas morning, 33-year-old Richard Gilliam was arrested at an apartment in Little Rock by deputies from the Little Rock police, Arkansas State Police and the Lonoke County.

Richard Gilliam was arrested for murder and kidnapping amongst other charges (Arkansas Online)

Authorities were told by the woman that Gilliam was one of the two suspects. He is being held at the Lonoke County jail and his bond has been set at $1 million.

Gilliam is due to appear in court in February for multiple charges: capital murder, attempted capital murder, aggravated residential burglary, and kidnapping.

He does not have an attorney who can comment on his behalf according to online jail records. The other suspect is still at large and the authorities are looking for him as we speak.

The murder

On December 25, the Lonoke County sheriff's office was busy investigating a murder early in the morning. Reports of shots being fired sent deputies rushing to Johnson Road in Scott.

They found that two individuals have been shot when they arrived at the home. One of the victims was dead and he was identified as 49-year-old Arlin Wayne Nugent.

Arlin Nugent was killed on Christmas morning (Daily Mail)

The investigators found out that a woman was missing from the home and the police went into panic mode to try and find her.

A broadcast was made statewide for the missing woman and she was later found in the nearby Pulaski County. She was transported to the hospital and is being treated for her injuries now.

The officials said that two black men entered the residence and started firing their weapons. Nugent died of his injuries at the scene and the woman was kidnapped.

Richard Gilliam was taken into custody and is being held in the county jail without bail. His court appearance is in February.

Police are still looking for the second suspect who has been identified as 28-year-old Deymon Webb. Authorities say that he should be considered as armed and extremely dangerous.

Deymon Webb is armed and dangerous (Arkansas Matters)

If you see Webb, you're asked to call 911 immediately or the Lonoke County Sheriff's Office at (501) 676-3000.







If you have any views or stories that you would like to share with us, drop us an email at