Last June, Johnny Cash’s son John Carter Cash announced he was producing a tribute album for his father, featuring an all-star line-up. The record, titled 'Johnny Cash: Forever Words', will include artists setting music to poems written by Cash and published in Forever Words: The Unknown Poems. Quite like the Doors’ ninth and final album, ‘An American Prayer’ which was a compilation of Jim Morrison’s poetry set to music by the rest of the bandmates.
‘Forever Words’ features performances by Kacey Musgraves, Brad Paisley, Jewel, T-Bone Burnett and — hold your breath — Chris Cornell.
New details about the album emerged on Thursday, including its tracklist and release date, as well as a new trailer. Johnny Cash: Forever Words is out on April 6 via Legacy Recordings. So mark your calendars. The spoken word album will also feature Ruston Kelly, Rosanne Cash, Alison Krauss & Union Station, Kris Kristofferson & Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Carlene Carter, Elvis Costello and The Jayhawks alongside the late Chris Cornell.
Johnny Cash’s son John Carter Cash was a co-producer on this new album and described it as a “monstrous amassment” of undiscovered material, reports NME. “I picked the artists who are most connected with my father, who had a personal story that was connected with Dad,” John Carter Cash said in a statement, via Pitchfork. “It became an exciting endeavor to go through these works, to put them together and present them to different people who could finish them in a way that I believed that Dad would have wanted.”
The fourth track on the upcoming album, ‘You Never Knew My Mind’ is sung and performed by Chris Cornell as one of the artist’s last solo recordings. This track will be released almost 21 years after Cash covered Cornell’s old band Soundgarden’s ‘Rusty Cage’ for his album, ‘Unchained’.
The trailer for the album features Cash’s children speaking about their father’s poetry, as well as footage of the album’s studio sessions. Take a look at the album trailer as well as the track listing below:
1. “Forever/I Still Miss Someone” – Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson
2. “To June This Morning” – Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves
3. “Gold All Over the Ground” – Brad Paisley
4. “You Never Knew My Mind” – Chris Cornell
5. “The Captain’s Daughter” – Alison Krauss and Union Station
6. “Jellico Coal Man” – T. Bone Burnett
7. “The Walking Wounded” – Rosanne Cash
8. “Them Double Blues” – John Mellencamp
9. “Body on Body” – Jewel
10. “I’ll Still Love You” – Elvis Costello
11. “June’s Sundown” – Carlene Carter
12. “He Bore It All” – Daily and Vincent
13. “Chinky Pin Hill” – I’m With Her
14. “Goin’, Goin’, Gone” – Robert Glasper featuring Ro James, and Anu Sun
15. “What Would I Dreamer Do?” – The Jayhawks
16. “Spirit Rider” – Jamey Johnson
If you have any views or stories that you would like to share with us, drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org