Earlier this month, it was revealed that Chris Cornell contributed vocals on the upcoming album, Johnny Cash: Forever Words, a collection of songs created from Johnny Cash’s previously unreleased poetry, lyrics, and letters. Now, Cornell’s posthumous collaboration, You Never Knew My Mind, has been released. It marks one of Cornell’s final known recordings prior to his death in May 2017, reports CoS.
You Never Knew My Mind, premiered on Zane Lowe's Beats 1 show yesterday (February 26) and arrives on what would have been Johnny Cash's 86th birthday. The mutual appreciation between the two artists has a long history. In 1996, Johnny Cash covered one of Chris Cornell’s songs for his album Unchained. He sang Rusty Cage from Soundgarden’s 1991 album Badmotorfinger. Cornell returned the favor by creating You Never Knew My Mind, an original tune derived from unused Cash lyrics.
Listen to the track below:
Cornell unexpectedly died last May, while touring with Soundgarden, at the age of 52. Cash passed away in 2003, aged 71, following the death of his wife June Carter Cash earlier that year. Cash's posthumous albums such as 2006's American V: A Hundred Highways and 2014's Out Among The Stars have found critical and commercial success. The upcoming Forever Words, which is curated and co-produced by Cash's son, John Carter Cash, seeks to continue that legacy.
John Carter Cash also spoke about You Never Knew My Mind with Zane Lowe. It combines a track Johnny Cash wrote in 1967 entitled, You Never Knew My Mind, with another unreleased song, I Never Knew Your Mind. He added that Cornell was a longtime fan of his father and felt a connection to the country legend.
Apple Music users can listen to the full interview below:
You Never Knew My Mind, which was one of Cornell's final recordings, was recorded at Cash Cabin Studio in Hendersonville, Tennessee. Speaking about Cash's impact on him at the time, Cornell said, "I met the man once or twice in my life, and he was so gracious and he was such an influence on me as a musician."
Johnny Cash: Forever Words is available April 6. Other notable contributors to the LP include Cash’s longtime friends and collaborators Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson, eldest daughter Rosanne Cash, stepdaughter Carlene Carter and country singer Kacey Musgraves among more.
You can pre-order the album here.
Also, check out the video trailer for the album and the track listing for the same below:
Forever Words tracklist:
1. Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson - "Forever/I Still Miss Someone"
2. Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves - "To June This Morning"
3. Brad Paisley - "Gold All Over The Ground"
4. Chris Cornell - "You Never Knew My Mind"
5. Alison Krauss And Union Station - "The Captain's Daughter"
6. T. Bone Burnett - "Jellico Coal Man"
7. Rosanne Cash - "The Walking Wounded"
8. John Mellencamp - "Them Double Blues"
9. Jewel - "Body On Body"
10. Elvis Costello - "I'll Still Love You"
11. Carlene Carter - "June's Sundown"
12. Daily & Vincent - "He Bore It All"
13. I'm With Her - "Chinky Pin Hill"
14. Robert Glasper - "Goin', Goin', Gone" (feat. Ro James and Anu Sun)
15. The Jayhawks - "What Would I Dreamer Do?"
16. Jamey Johnson - "Spirit Rider"
If you have any views or stories that you would like to share with us, drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org