8-year-old boy dies after mistaking dad's crystal meth for breakfast cereal

Collman then took this son to his parent's house, and fled from there after they also wanted to call emergency services


                            8-year-old boy dies after mistaking dad's crystal meth for breakfast cereal

An eight-year-old boy in Indiana died last month after mistaking his father's methamphetamine for breakfast cereal. According to a toxicology report released on Thursday, the boy congested more than 180 times the lethal amount of the drug.

The boy, identified as Curtis Collman III, died on June 21 after overdosing on meth at his father's house. His father has been identified as 41-year-old Curtis Gilbert Collman, WAVE TV reported.

According to reports, the boy ate several grams of meth that were kept on a plate, thinking it was cereal. The boy's father noticed that his son appeared ill at around 10 am and called a friend to look at the child. 

The woman reportedly told the elder Collman to call emergency services and dial 911. However, he snatched the phone out of the woman's hands and said: "I’m not going back to prison." 



The Seymour Tribune reported that he grabbed a handgun from another room and threatened to kill himself, the woman and his son if she called emergency services.

Collman then took this son to his parent's house and fled from there after they also wanted to call emergency services. After Collman left, his parents called 911 for help. Reports state that the boy later died.

The father was arrested on Thursday evening, and police officials charged him with failure to register as a sex offender. According to the Tribune, the charge was laid against him after a 2006 conviction on a Class D felony of sexual misconduct with a minor.



Reports state that Collman has also been charged with neglect of a dependent causing death, pointing a firearm and theft.

The 41-year-old requested a bond reduction on Friday so that he could spend time at home with his parents while awaiting trial. However, Jackson County law enforcement officials have decided to keep fighting to keep the accused behind bars.

Reports state that the elder Collman could face 20 to 40 years in prison if convicted. The Associated Press reported that Collman is set to go on trial on December 4.