2 service members killed in Afghanistan, says US military a day after Mike Pompeo's visit
More than 2,400 US service personnel have died in Afghanistan since the US-led coalition invaded in October 2001 to oust the Taliban and hunt down al-Qaida chief Osama bin Laden
KABUL: The US military has said that two of its service members were killed on Wednesday, June 26, in Afghanistan, but did not offer any details surrounding the circumstances of their deaths.
The killings occurred a day after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made a quick visit to the Afghan capital of Kabul where he said Washington was hopeful of a peace deal before September 1.
It's not clear if the deaths were the result of the war, which at nearly 18 years is America's longest running one. More than 2,400 US service personnel have died in Afghanistan since the US-led coalition invaded in October 2001 to oust the Taliban and hunt down al-Qaida chief Osama bin Laden following the September 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.
Efforts to find a peaceful end to Afghanistan's protracted war accelerated last year with the appointment of US peace envoy Zalmay Khalilzad, who will begin a fresh round of direct talks with the Taliban on Saturday, June 29, in the Middle Eastern state of Qatar, where the insurgents maintain a political office.
Khalilzad has held a series of meetings in Kabul as well, in an effort to restart Afghan-to-Afghan of talks that would also include the Taliban. Such a planned meeting was scuttled earlier this year because neither side could agree on participants.
The Taliban have refused to hold direct talks with the Afghan government, calling it a US puppet, but have said they would talk with government officials if they arrive at the meeting as ordinary Afghans.
Before leaving Afghanistan for India, Pompeo on Tuesday, June 25, underscored Khalilzad's strategy in the talks, which involves four interconnected issues: counterterrorism, foreign troop presence, inter-Afghan dialogue and a permanent cease-fire.
Wednesday's US military statement announcing the killings of the US service members was a terse, two-paragraph announcement. The statement also said the identities of the soldiers would not be released until their families had been notified.
Talks between Khalilzad and the Taliban have focused on US and NATO troop withdrawal and guarantees from the Taliban that Afghanistan would not again become a safe haven for terrorists to plan global attack like 9/11. Pompeo said the United States and the Taliban were close to a deal on countering terrorism. Pompeo added that discussions with the Taliban have also begun on U.S. troop withdrawal.
'While we've made clear to the Taliban that were prepared to remove our forces, I want to be clear we've not yet agreed on a timeline to do so," Pompeo said.